Re: [LAU] Creating a very long audio file?

From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 23:23:49 EEST

On 2 April 2013 21:29, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
>> Huh, you're right.
>>
>> Oh, i see... we've been supporting >4GB wave files in the Xiph stuff
>> by setting the length to 0xFFFFFFFF and assuming the data chunk is
>> last (intuiting chunk length from file length).
>>

> nothing about RIFF implies that the data chunk is last. in fact, there is
> no ordering at all except that the RIFF chunk is first. there are several
> windows app that make this "mistake".
>
> w64 is the format to use, and libsndfile handles it (and CAF) with
> distinction.

I guess this is a bug in sox then. If I use sndfile-concat (by first
turning the first wave file into w64), a correct w64 is made, and if I use
sndfile-salvage on the wave sox produced (the one with too much sound for
the header to explain) a correct file is also made. Either way, success!

Thanks for the insight guys.