Re: [LAU] ABX test (was Re: What is the best MP3 encoder?)

From: Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 03 2013 - 12:01:58 EEST

2013/4/3 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>

> On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 08:18 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> > 2013/4/3 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>:
> > > I guess I _never_ failed a blind test, but that's not important. Most
> > > people are comfortable with MP3s, but if I talk to them and point them
> > > to the lossy parts, they're able to notice the loss too, they are
> > > usually not annoyed by the loss.
> > >
> > > Tests with uneducated people are useless, those tests just should
> ensure
> > > how far the industry could go.
> >
> > This is just your personal and *uneducated* (ie. wrong) opinion.
> >
> > ABX tests are double blind statistics tests, double blind tests are
> > widely, massively used in medical statistics to test drug treatments
> > against a disease (eg. tumor).
> >
> > The goal is to ensure that treatment A is better than B, and "blind"
> > stand for "the patient is not aware of the treatment he receives so
> > variability is not conditioned from psychology" and morover the doctor
> > is not aware of what the patient was given (the drug or a placebo).
> >
> > What you call "uneducated" is the assupmtion which the test relies on.
> >
> > Don't spread misconception.
>
> I know what double blind tests are. The pharmaceutical industry are a
> good example to prove that I'm not mistaken. My claim isn't that tests
> are completely useless, it's just that especially for the pharmaceutical
> industry and food mafia those tests are done in a way that it's clear,
> what the result will be. But ok, we can claim that the earth is a disc
> and centre of the universe and everything was made by a god and the
> audio ABX tests are absolutely correct, MP3s not only sound lossless,
> they improve the sound a lot. So lets spread this news and burn
> everybody who doesn't believe in this :p.

Ralf, be serious when talking about medical treatment against deathly
disease like cancer is. You can't claim that every and all university PhDs
are aiming at selling drugs instead of a cure.

You simply do not know what you are talking about.
The result is not know because of the blind test design (you didn't
understand).

/r

--
*L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla