Re: [LAU] ABX test invite

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Apr 03 2013 - 19:11:03 EEST

On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 16:13 +0100, James Stone wrote:
> Just as a matter of interest, what would be a suitable high quality
> recording?

Perhaps I should rephrase it. Some recording of an instrument or
orchestra in a special room, e.g. a church, done by an engineer who
"painted a picture of the room" using microphony that fits to your home
equipment [1] and not a synth mix with FX.

[1] In my case the microphony should be done for listening by
headphones, because of issues with my amplifier and the position of my
monitors, while the RME card's phones output is excellent and even if
there are nowadays better headphones available than the AKG 240 DF, it
was the best studio headphone for many years and still is the best I
own. You might have a good amp and no issues with the position and/or
quality of your monitors and you might be sensitiv to other things, but
transparency of the reverb, still I guess that Axel F isn't a good
choice. It's a good recording, but done for a different kind of
listening, e.g. for the dance floor, for mono television etc. pp., it's
missing the subtleties of e.g. a room, but exactly this are the things
that get lost.