Re: [LAU] ABX test invite

From: Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 05 2013 - 09:26:51 EEST

2013/4/5 Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>:
> So here is the thing, it makes a large difference what the source is as to
> how obvious it would be. Case in point, I found the v6 difficult on the
> files in the thread, but I toss in one of my recordings(Using lame with v4
> and v6 as above) from a live concert and holy crap is there a difference,
> obvious right from the get go in the hiss in the track on v6. v4 on the
> other hand was very difficult to tell on that track to where I don't think I
> could hear a difference. But that only makes me wish I had some decent
> recording of full orchestral classical at my workstation to listen to as
> that is my goto material for a source. Or irish folk music, which can do a
> decent job as well causing problems of more than one sort:)
>
> Some things to keep in mind, I am listening over studio monitors, not
> headphones, but still much better than the average listening environment.
> It would likely be even more obvious over headphones to tell the truth.
> Second it always makes a difference in the second generation encoding, which
> is why I tend to use FLAC for archival and master purposes, and use OGG or
> otherwise for listening, so that I never risk a second generation
> compression, which becomes more obvious.
>
> Via abx, there wasn't ever a question with v8 really. v6 as I mentioned on
> the sources mentioned above were much harder, but if I tossed in my own
> acoustic/folk recording it became very blatant. Again source makes all the
> difference. v4 I couldn't tell over speakers, but I also don't have most of
> my music collection here either, so I really should come back to it with
> some decent classical and irish folk tracks and see what happens.
>
> Seablade

Right, as I said in a previous post ABX test is "statistics
pornography", allow me this metaphor :-)

It relies on weak assumptions (thomas just explained) and hence a
bunch of variables which variance can't be somewhat controlled
(statistically speaking) to isolate the dependent variable, ie the
real ability to discriminate (golden ears)...

I would say that it's good to state that with higher bitrates there's
actually no difference, with low bitrates outcomes may change a lot.

Nevertheless it's very educational in terms of understanding what we
perceive from our beliefs.

/r