Re: [LAU] ABX test invite

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Apr 06 2013 - 11:52:49 EEST

On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 09:24 +0200, Felix Homann wrote:

> Am 05.04.2013 20:11 schrieb "Ralf Mardorf"
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>:
> >
> > I didn't hear a difference,
>
> That settles it: You didn't hear a difference. Point. No need for
> further talk about what else you might have been capable of if
> whatever else had been changed.
> Any claim beyond your inability to hear a difference should be
> substantiated by actual tests.

I'll try to make music this weekend, so I'll stop this discussion. The
people who claimed that they usually won't hear a difference hear
differences and while I claimed that I usually hear differences I didn't
heard a difference, but I didn't make a ABX test, I listened one time to
all the files that are just a few seconds long and I never heard the
song Axel F. from the beginning to the end in my whole life. 10 seconds
might be enough, if I would hear a song that I heard several times in my
life.

Again and again and again, that MP3 is good enough for my taste to
preserve a few seconds of Axel F., is evidence for nothing. ABX tests
should be made with transparent recordings of a 40 instrument orchestra
or similar. I don't say that Axel F. is bad music, bad I say it's very
simple synth music, were not that much can go wrong by a little bit of
loss.

Even for simple 80s pop mainstream music there are much more complex
recordings available, that for sure are more sensitive to loss. E.g.
Bill Laswell did produce not only Avantgarde music, but also 80s
mainstream. Faltermeyer's music is background music for a film that was
made for mind candy. It's absolutely ok, we don't need to watch and
listen to highbrow art all the times, but this mind candy stuff is not
god for tests.

Regards,
Ralf