Re: [LAU] ABX test invite

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 06 2013 - 16:56:04 EEST

Quoting Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>:

> In taberna quando sumus, we could first drink on the libre to be free to
> like or not to like lossy codecs. If the codec is ok for the tests, you
> don't have a guaranty that it will be ok for another recording at
> another time, so for me there's no reason to risk loss, resp. always to
> test listen if the MP3 is ok or not ok for a specific recording.
>
> Use MP3! I don't use it!

No one is forcing you to use it and if you don't want to you
definitely shouldn't. But if you can't hear the difference between an
original file and a properly encoded MP3 file why are you claiming the
latter sounds crap?

Yes, lots of the Napster MP3 era were produced using sub-par encoders
and even at high bitrate you could definitely hear the cymbals being
mutilated, for instance, but the lame codec today is more or less 100%
transparent for more or less 100% of the population at sufficiently
(128-192 kbps) high bitrate for causal and semi-casual listening.

Unless you can prove in an ABX test that you can hear the positions of
the sound being altered or whatever you might want to listen for your
loath for the format is purely based on belief and not facts.

> MP3 isn't just a thorn in my side regarding to it's quality, but also to
> the way music is misused today. MP3 for me stands for music 24/7. I
> don't eat chocolate the whole day, I don't have sex the whole day and I
> even won't hear good music the whole day.

Again the quality claim though you still haven't shown any indication
of really being able to tell the difference.

You might not be aware of this but it is quite possible to just listen
to one single 3 minute MP3 song and then turn off the
stereo/computer/iPod. No one is forcing you to listen to the entire
MP3 version of Wagner's Ring in one take.

And if you only sold music to connoisseurs who knew how to enjoy their
192/24, impeccable, transparent recordings and who only listened to
the sound between the notes and the position of the instruments "in
the room" you wouldn't be able to feed many mouths...

It feels like I'm banging my head against a brickwall limited ceiling
here so I think I'll drop these conversations until we eventually see
some numbers from you.

  - Peder