Re: [LAU] Linuxaudio from live usb

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 11 2013 - 12:33:40 EEST

On 04/11/2013 11:28 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 04/11/2013 11:15 AM, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
>> On 04/11/2013 10:50 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to boot an linuxaudio distro from live usb and work
>>> with JACK, Ardour etc.? How good or bad will the performance be? For
>>> example for giving a workshop about Linuxaudio on Windows computers?
>>>

>> Totally possible. The perfomance will vary with the tasks you are doing.
>> Recording 32 tracks of 48000hz audio in ardour to a USB thumbdrive might
>> not work so well. Running softsynths and some other apps that do not
>> rely heavily on disk streaming should work fine..
>>
>> You might also want to consider to INSTALL a linux distro to the USB
>> stick instead of just booting some live image. This way you can setup
>> stuff..
>
> Imagine that the teaching room with windows computers should be left
> as it was. Installing on usb needs changes in the bootmenu/grub right,
> so you get some sort of dualboot. How easy and risky is it to undo that?
>
> \r

Well it's only the boot menu/grub on the USB drive. But it also just
occured to me that when you create e.g. a bootable USB drive with
Ubuntu's usb tool, you can actually reserve some capacity for changes in
the filesystem. This would allow you to alter the installed packages on
the image, etc.. So a full install to the USB drive is not necessary.

Flo

--
Florian Paul Schmidt
http://fps.io