Re: [LAU] One or two HD's for audio work

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2013 - 05:57:53 EEST

On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 13:38 -0400, Egor Sanin wrote:
> On 4/4/13, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I don't know if it makes any difference, but hard drives stream off the
> > outside of the disk faster than the inside. So using a partition on the
> > high half of the drive will stream data faster.
>
> The small print being that this is only true for a Hard Disk Drives
> (HDD), not true for a Solid State Drive (SSD) which are not uncommon
> these days.

True, but I still have doubts that the HDDs are the bottlenecks. They
aren't that slow and they've got several heads.

Other factors seem to be more important.

When I e.g. move a window, I get audible gaps without getting xruns,
while the audio session is that small, that everything is, resp. should
be in the RAM.

IOW I'm experiencing and I experienced all kinds of inexplicable issues
and IMO it's more likely that something is really fishy, than something
like using 1 instead of 2 drives does cause an issue.

It can't harm to use several drives, but I experienced using 1 drive
only doesn't cause (additional) issues. I own several drives myself and
usually I use 2 drives. Everybody with several drives could make tests
and use one drive only for a test. It shouldn't make a difference.

[rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden 02song.a]$ service rtirq status

  PID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
   36 FF 90 - 130 0.0 S irq/8-rtc0
  197 FF 85 - 125 0.0 S irq/18-snd_hdsp