Re: [LAU] Ardour3: monitoring

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 13 2013 - 17:26:45 EEST

On Sat, April 13, 2013 6:38 am, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With Fedora 15/CCRMA and Ardour 2.x shipped with it, I used to
> monitor a track (including EQ and effects) by adding an external send to
> an unused playback(s) of the 1010LT. The 1010LT itself was set for
> digital mix. When I do this with Ardour3, there's a quite noticeable
> delay in the monitoring which prevents it from being useful at all. The
> 'send1 out' are associated with playbacks 7 and 8 in the main routing
> diagram. And so...

Are you using the same jackd(bus) latency setting for both cases? Are you
letting ardour start jack or are you using something else? In any case you
will need jack to run at 128frames/period or less. (probably 64) Ardour
starts jack at 1024 by default if I remember correctly... so does qjackctl
for that matter.

> 1) At Arodur3 install time there was some option about monitoring and
> I've chosen 'something' which could have been the default. I will
> install 3.1.10 soon, so I can redo this step if needed.

Monitoring can be turned on or off in ardour. Off is preferred because
that means you are taking care of monitoring in hardware :) On means
Ardour sets up monitoring channels, but in this case you are doing that
manually anyway.

> 2) Is this now a direct consequence of not using any low-latency
> kernel ?

Direct no. The kernel will determine the lowest usable latency you can
use, but the way jack is started determines what latency jack is (trying
to be) using. If you can't get jack to run at the needed latency without
xruns then a change in kernel may help. Other settings in bios and HW wise
may help too.

Finally, there is a matter of processing power. The more effects you use
the higher the latency needs to be to support them. I have an older
machine and so I try to track without internal eq/effects. I add effects
for mixdown at a higher latency. I do have an external mixer (Mackie 1604)
and some external reverbs and stuff I can use for monitoring, but I have
been tracking dry so far. Effects for tracking monitoring do not have to
be super quality, just good enough to keep the talent in the right frame
of mind. Some talent needs it and some don't.

> Thanks for any comments/suggestions - much appreciated as always.
>
> Cheers.

Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net