Re: [LAU] Raspberry Pi and real-time, low-latency audio

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 16 2013 - 10:19:47 EEST

On 04/16/2013 12:39 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Mon, April 15, 2013 12:27 am, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>
>>> Though making an enclosure and buying the switches (that can handle
>>> being
>>> stomped) would probably cost as much as a premade controller anyway. Are
>>> you going to add any other controls? (pots or other programing kinds of
>>> things) or just use presets?
>>
>> I bought some cheap switches and I've got some broken things lying
>> around and my ultimate goal would be to make a simple USB-MIDI
>> footswitch with some extra knobs to adjust parameters. But that will be
>> a long term project (two kids, solderingironophobia).
>
> I thought the R-Pi has GPi/os. Is it not possible to use switches
> connected direct?

Yes that's also possible. There are even PCB designs available of MIDI
expansion boards, maybe I'll take a look at that. Apparently it's very
cheap these days to have PCB's made.

>>> Is that a Dan Armstrong? Or does someone else make clear (and very
>>> heavy)
>>> body guitars?
>>>
>> Answered this in another mail.
>
> Ya, Last D.A. I saw was about 1974. It was a bass, but was short scale so
> the intonation was problematic. It was heavy. The owner went from that to
> a Rick.

Ampeg has reissued the Dan Armstrong model so you can still get them.
They're way more expensive though. But they're beautiful guitars with
the double cut and the interchangeable pickups.

>> In addition, there are some manufacturers
>> that use PMMA/acrylic/lucite/perspex bodies. The most well-known at the
>> moment is ECG (Electrical Guitar Company). They have two lucite
>> signature models with aluminum necks (how awesome is that), the Brent
>> Hinds (Mastodon) Custom and one of the coolest contemporary guitars, the
>> King Buzzo (Melvins) Standard:
>> http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/index.php/model/King-Buzzo-Standard/fuseaction/models.77d7eb47.htm
>
> They look nice. How easy is it to keep them clean? Or are finger marks not
> visible more than 5 feet away anyway?

I never clean the body, still looks good after like 4 years.

  Says 9 pounds... I haven't weighed
> any of mine...Hohner (the jack) headless - 7lbs - Rickenbacker bass - 10
> lbs

That must be a 400X ;)

Jeremy

  - squire katana bass (ex rental now fretless) 7.3 lbs So weight is not