Re: [LAU] mixing problem

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 18 2013 - 21:33:01 EEST

On 04/18/2013 08:14 AM, Brent Busby wrote:
> When sounds are competing in the mix, the frequently given advice is
> usually to carve out frequency ranges for them with EQ.
>
> But what do you do when its a thick analog keyboard part that spans a
> 4-octave range, and the range it's playing is the whole musical point
> of it? What do you do for those parts that won't fit in an EQ shoebox?

You may be able to accentuate frequencies on the keyboard track so that
it is articulate, and then pull the level of the keys down.

But I think you'll find that finding out what frequencies are competing
with other instruments (guitar?) and pull those frequencies down 1-2dB,
possibly while boosting those same frequencies by a dB or so on the
guitar.

Don't forget placement in the stereo field, as well as the amount of
'verb you put on each. Pull instruments toward the listener a bit by
reducing the reverb on that instrument. Also, make sure that the
keyboard itself is not sending reverb. You want ALL reverb to be added
in the mix, and be the same reverb patch, so everything lives in the
same space. A lot of digital keyboards have a reverb wash on
everything, which makes it impossible to place it in a mix.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]