Re: [LAU] Nice plugins for acoustic bass guitar ?

From: Bill Gribble <grib@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 21 2013 - 13:44:15 EEST

There are a couple of guitar-like bass-register instruments in Spanish-speaking folk music (the bajo sexto and the guitarron) but neither of them is exactly an acoustic bass guitar (tuning, range, number of strings differ). They are certainly acoustic instruments. My point was that the acoustic bass guitar usually is employed as a "hollowbody electric bass", so the straightforward path to recording it is to use a DI as you would an electric bass.

Of course you can and should experiment with pointing mics at anything that might make an interesting sound! It just sounded like the original poster was looking for basic advice.

Note: I'm a bass player (double bass and electric) so I have strong opinions about this stuff :)

Thanks,
Bill Gribble