Re: [LAU] [Music] Horror prog: Spiral Torso Op

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 22 2013 - 11:40:58 EEST

On 22/04/13 08:40, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Q]
>> I can't quite put my finger on why I think it sounds a bit like Goblin, it just
>> seemed to have a slightly dark, menacing tone to it, maybe even slightly
>> cinematic (all of which is absolutely fine by me).
>
> There's of course the rainy background, the minor-centrism of the
> harmony and the slight oddness of the beat, but for me the warmth of
> the synth sound provides the prevalent mood.

Interesting, they're generally not synths that are regarded as warm and
for the most part it sounds quite thin to me, much of which is due to it
being single oscillator. Although not all the sounds are thin and the
layering of other parts has overcome it as well.

Sounding thin isn't a problem, in fact, I don't think the woodwind
emulations would sound as good, but it certainly lacks the fullness and
warmth of a Moog. It's interesting how subjective these things are and
how totally inadequate language can be at describing them :-)

>> But one thing's for sure, it sounds absolutely nothing like Genesis :-)
>
> Heh, I'll have to trust you on that, seeing that I know next to
> nothing they made (but perhaps you already know that :). In any case,
> to me it matters not where you take it from, but where you take it to.

Well, certain instrumentation made me think that that was a probably
direction, but my muse obviously had other ideas. Just goes to show it's
not the tools you use, but how you use them that is important :-)

Cheers