Re: [LAU] Adding a USB device (not working)

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 23 2013 - 02:15:36 EEST

> Have you tried using the front ports with the scanner unplugged? Could be
> the scanner doesn't play well with it. Or it could be the front ports use

Probably not since the sanner is turned off. But, let me give it a go.
Okay, tried that. Nope, not a conflcit. Uplugged the scanner and tried
the front port. No go.

And to confirm things, I swapped the sanner cable with the the one I
was using to connect to the audio. The audio works on the rear; the
sanner works on the front. So, probably the power?

> irq16 along with the video card, other usb, and whatever. Could be the
> back usb is usb2.0 and the front are not (unlikely I would think).

I'm not sure how I'd test that. But, like you said, it's unlikely.

> dmesg |tail should tell you about usb 2.0 and cat /proc/interrupts should
> tell you what irq the usb port dmesg tels you about is using (and what
> else is on that irq too).

Yes, interesting about the irqs.

 16: 119 26 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
 17: 20242 257 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb5
 18: 17014 241 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb4,
ohci_hcd:usb6, nvidia
 19: 251870 81570 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1

My small brain, after looking at some syslog stuff seem to indicate
that the front panel ports are USB 1-9 and USB 1-10. I am assuming
that my expander port (which has keyboard, mouse and other "stuff"
attached) is also on USB 1. So, could just be that I'm adding too much
stuff to port 1?

I'm sure that I had the audio device working on the front panel, but
it might be that I moved the rear ports around ... ending with my
multi-usb on the same port as the front panel.

Too bad the MB doesn't label this stuff !!!!

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden