Re: [LAU] Update: video micing question

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 23 2013 - 16:26:49 EEST

On Tuesday 23 April 2013 08:38:02 Paul DeShaw did opine:

> I found out that the reason our wireless lavalier and headset mics were
> not being used properly is simply that the instructors don't like
> wearing them.

Then someone should make it plain that one of the conditions of teaching at
your venue, is that they _will_ be worn. "talent" sometimes needs to be
"trained" in something besides the arts. :)

However, since many of these things called wireless, are in fact wired to a
transmitter pack that is usually clipped to the back of the belt, I sure
wouldn't call them wireless as the wire from the mic to the tx pack is
still going to be seen as a movement restriction.

While it may go flying to the farthest reaches of the stage and beyond
during complex moves, that is a hazard that needs to be dealt with
forthwith so the session isn't unduly delayed. The "talent" may not know
where it went, so someone else should be ready to retrieve it and hand it
back.

You might want to check & see what sort of a headset/boom is being used at
the TED Talks sessions, I don't always see a cable trailing behind and have
assumed that at least some are wireless. And sometimes I see the
"backpack" as the speaker moves around, which means a wire to the backpack
& likely not usable here. It certainly is not an intrusive device, and
seems to work well. Whether its suitable for use during a martial arts
training session might be another matter, but I'd investigate the
possibility.

Another possibility might be a clip-on blue tooth device like the cell
phones use, but those are _not_ long range, with 6 feet about the maximum
practical range. I tried to make a dongle work over about a 15 foot path
here but could only keep it working for 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

> The main person running our AV is well aware of the loss
> of sound quality, and welcomed any suggestions I could provide. I'll
> read back over the thread...and I'll try searching the web to find out
> about those mics often seen hanging over choirs and orchestras. But
> really this is more of an interpersonal psychology/communication
> problem than a technical one.

We have one hanging 10 feet over, and in 5 feet in front of the organ
console and choir alcove at our church. It was thought to be a good idea
when it was hung 20+ years ago, but has proved to be only an ambiance
enhancer at best since its also subject to the output of the speakers, it's
often the source of more unwanted feedback and false acoustics than its
worth. Even as my own ears have lost their "golden" quality with age,
testing shows me 10db or more down in the speech ranges, that false
acoustics effect does not enhance my ability to clearly hear, and IMO,
actually detracts from the sound.

> Even so, I'm glad I asked here because the resulting thread has been
> such an education. I'm even glad I neglected to mention that the mics
> are wireless because of the discussion of cabling and soldering.
> Thanks to all. Paul DeShaw

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views