Re: [LAU] About the Functional Transformation Method of sound synthesis

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 25 2013 - 16:47:51 EEST

[Yvonnick Noel]
> In the line of my previous post about lv2_guitar, I wondered if anyone ever
> tried to implement the Functional Transformation Method of sound synthesis in
> an open source softsynth. This would allow for all parameter adjustments, as
> described in:
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.84.1572
>
> An implementation is described in:
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.10.6022
>
> I must say that I know nothing about filter theory and would be totally unable
> to do write such a program myself, but maybe one of the signal theory gurus
> around here could have a look... :-)

I'm certainly no signal theory guru but I have worked for a while on a
modal/additive synthesis engine (which the FTM roughly arrives at).

While exploiting the parallel nature of the synthesis model is fairly
straightforward, it still takes massive computational resources to
produce musically useful results, calling for expansion beyond a
single core, or even beyond the CPU. The subsampled polyphase filters
mentioned in the second paper are a neat trick that provides sizeable
efficiency gains, but this comes at the cost of signal quality and
implementation simplicity; it also introduces model latency.

I doubt that a free implementation of wide applicability will arrive
soon.

Tim