Re: [LAU] USB cassette player only recognized as mono device

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 29 2013 - 19:39:35 EEST

On 04/29/2013 12:13 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Are you sure you get actual stereo output in Windows?
>> It looks like the channels are somewhat different, but is there an easy
>> definitive way to check? I tried converting the two channels to mono,
>> inverted one, and mixed them, but they didn't cancel each other out as I
>> would have expected - but maybe my procedure is not correct.
> Anyone?

I'd think the waveforms being "somewhat different" would be a good enough
confirmation, but if you have any music with exaggerated stereo separation
(my go-to example is the guitar solo on "Yours Is No Disgrace" by Yes...
woo hoo, stoner on the faders!) that should remove all doubt.

But if they provided any specialized recording software under Windows
(i.e., not Audacity), that's probably a good indicator that it's not a
standard USB audio device.

Rob