Re: [LAU] delta 1010 (yes) / delta 2496 (no)

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 01 2013 - 15:38:18 EEST

On 04/30/2013 08:23 AM, David Santamauro wrote:
> On 04/30/2013 07:43 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> David Santamauro wrote:
>>> All is well with every device except the delta 2496
>>
>> Are there any messages in the system log (/var/log/messages or the
>> output of dmesg) after you're trying to load the driver snd-ice1712
>> (unload it first)?
>>

> as a matter of fact, yes, sorry, forgot about that error
>
> [ 10.973036] ALSA sound/pci/ice1712/ice1712.c:2365 invalid EEPROM
> (size = 97)
> [ 10.979598] snd_ice1712: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -5
>
> ... which is
>
> 05:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712
> [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
> Subsystem: VIA Technologies Inc. M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
> Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 19
> I/O ports at dfa0 [size=32]
> I/O ports at dff0 [size=16]
> I/O ports at dfe0 [size=16]
> I/O ports at df40 [size=64]
> Capabilities: <access denied>

Monster thread over at

The OP's suspicion as to why his delta66 wasn't recognized:

"My suspicion is that this is all related to the evil bridge chips they
use on the mobo to run PCI slots thorugh PCIe controllers. Both PCI
slots run through this little chip and I reckon that it plays a major
part in the trouble (my conjecture - cant prove it!). Its worth noting
that when I installed the soundblaster card that solved the problem for
me both cards were given the same HW identifier when running aplay -l
etc (which suggests to me that the bridge chip is screwing it up).
Anyhow, either way it seems unable to properly address the chip on the
soundcard properly."

To summarize, he was using 1 slot of the 2 available PCI slots and he
found that by inserting a second PCI card into the second slot enabled
recognition of the first PCI slot (his delta66).

Interestingly, I had never actually tried with only one of my cards, so
I removed my delta2496 (occupying the 2nd slot) and the box wouldn't
boot -- I'll try and figure out exactly what is happening there the next
time I have a chance to reboot. But, nevertheless, in some small way
this effect lends credence (albeit remotely) to the above OP's
assumption that a second card as well as pci/pcie bridge "stuff" is at
play here.

thoughts welcome, thanks,

David