Re: [LAU] Nepalese Song - improving mix?

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 01 2013 - 22:20:40 EEST

On 01/05/13 09:27, James Stone wrote:
> HI Everyone,
>
> Here is a song I recorded with a friend of mine who is a Nepalese
> singer, and one of his friends who played the guitar and bass on the
> track. It has taken me ages to get round to finishing it, because I was
> having real troubles coming up with some drums that fitted the song OK.
>
> This is the current version, mixed in Mixbus. I would appreciate any
> thoughts on the song, and also the mix.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/jmstone/roughmix2/download/s-qgo8P
>
> James

Hi

Just had a listen to this and it sounds pretty nice as it stands.

You could probably clear out the low mids a little to improve clarity,
but don't overdo it or you'll lose too much warmth.

The vocal drops in and out a bit, especially early on (I think it's
probably the lower register bits that are most affected). I guess it'd
probably be better to automate the volume rather than compress, although
some light compression mightn't go astray. The guitar has a tendency to
overpower the vocal as well, but it might be okay once the vocal level
is higher, but if not, maybe EQ the guitar a bit to reduce the clash.

The main guitar solo (from 3.10) needs to be more upfront I'd say, lose
a lot of the reverb and it'd be a lot better. Perhaps use some delay to
make it big without pushing it into the background like the reverb's
doing. It's a bit thin sounding as well and the level a bit inconsistent.

It's a pleasant sounding piece, nice and mellow. Nice playing and the
singer's got a good voice. However, with not being able to infer any
emotional intensity from the vocals, it all sounds a bit flat, on the
same level -- the piece could do with some contour to it, a sense of
building and releasing in the music.