Re: [LAU] Nepalese Song - improving mix?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 02 2013 - 21:20:47 EEST

On Fri, May 3, 2013 4:01 am, James Stone wrote:
> Thanks everyone!
>
> This is my "improved" mix - based on comments here, and some more
> tweaking!
> Not sure my skills are up to all the suggestions that were made, but this
> is to the best of my ability:
>
> https://soundcloud.com/jmstone/m/download/s-SIyAE
>
> By the way, I am not sure if my condenser mic is breaking - the vocals
> sound a bit distorted despite being recorded at below clipping levels -
> any
> experts here care to comment?
>
> My friend is very happy with it, and is planning to submit it to a local
> Nepali radio station in the UK - so we will see what comes of it.
>
> No plans to record an album or anything - the guitar/bass player is back
> in
> Nepal now..
>
> Incidentally, the two of them were relatively famous in the 90s in Nepal
> with a song they recorded together, but apparently no recordings of it are
> left (they were recorded onto cassette and distributed to radio stations,
> but never released)..

To my ear the first mix sounded more authentic as a Nepalese love song but
the second mix is definitely smoother and more radio friendly. I really
like how you brought out the cleanness of the guitar in the second stanza.

If you can release the stems I am interested in taking a shot at dubbing
that mix out. I have been privileged to work with some of the best at that
artform* so it's possible some of it has rubbed off by now. It will give
me a reason to take the latest version of Ardour for a spin too ;-)

I may even be able to get some input from one of the masters (but no
promises).

* http://djcj.org/events/index.php?id=6
* http://djcj.org/events/index.php?id=10

Patrick