Re: [LAU] sound card order (was: Problem uploading sysex data to hardware synth)

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 05 2013 - 16:17:51 EEST

On Sun, 5 May 2013, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Brent Busby wrote:
>> I also have an Edirol UM-3EX USB 3-port Midi interface that's being
>> forced to be last with index=-2, since it's not really even a sound
>> device and I want it to be last (though how "-2" is achieving this is
>> one of the things I'm murky about, and hesitant to screw with).
>
> As a 32-bit two's-complement negative integer, -2 in binary is
> 11111111111111111111111111111110. This means that the snd-usb-audio
> driver is allowed to attach to any index except 0. (If the USB driver
> is loaded before the HDSP driver, you lose.)
>
>> If I enable the snd-virmidi driver, I'd like it to be even lower in
>> priority than the Edirol UM-3EX Midi, and be last.
>
> Do not use the index= option. Always use the slots= options of the snd
> module instead.
>
>> options snd-... index=...
>> # options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hdsp,snd-usb-audio
>
> Remove the index= lines, uncomment the last line, and add the
> snd-virmidi driver where desired.

Thank you very much for explaining that... It looks like I must have
been looking into that at some point, but commented it out instead of
trying it. It's certainly looks a lot easier with slots=.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky