Re: [LAU] PCIe cards weak?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 11 2013 - 21:48:35 EEST

On Sat, May 11, 2013 10:37 am, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Len Ovens wrote:
>> This is the first time I have seen this warning:
>>
>> "Due to the reduced length of the PCI EXPRESS bus connector and the
>> resulting lack of mechanical stability, we strongly advise against
>> transporting cards installed in a computer, unless its chassis or case
>> provides a dedicated support to keep the card securely in place in order
>> to avoid physical damage."
>
> PCI cards might survive not being fastened with a screw, but I can
> easily see how a x1 PCIe card would not.
>
> (Are there any cases without screws? Is this just a warning against
> transporting a naked motherboard?)

They are full height cards and the PCIe connector is close to the front.
Some of them have daughter boards/heatsinks on them. I am thinking they
are talking about some sort of restraining device for the back end of the
card as well. It would seem the the majority of the card weight is
unsupported even with the back bar screw installed. I have seen cases with
a support in this area (even in PCI days). Funny thing.. it was a rack
mount Proliant, not meant for travel.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net