Re: [LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 17 2013 - 12:38:43 EEST

On Fri, May 17, 2013 7:08 pm, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> I looked into these devices a bit more last night. It seems Picuntu (which
> is based upon Ubuntu 12.10 and still in beta) currently only supports the
> dual-core RK3066 devices and I failed to find any success stories of
> people
> having got Ubuntu (or any non-Android Linux) to install on the quad core
> RK3188s.
>
> Picuntu doesn't yet include the Mali GPU drivers but there are
> instructions
> available for installing the Mali drivers which apparently brings you
> accelerated 2D and OGLES2 under xorg. However, its the VPU which handles
> video playback accel and I'm not sure this is working yet for the RK3066.
>
> Another pitfall is the wifi/bt chipsets as, having a read through forums
> for these devices, it would seem not all the wifi chipsets are supported
> by
> Picuntu yet so thats another thing to look out for before anyone takes the
> plunge and buys one.

Surely it's just a case of recompiling the picuntu kernel with the right
modules enabled.

Android kernel "extensions" are now a part of 3.x so unless the OEM has
not released their drivers we should be able to get it running.

If there are hassles encountered we can contact the OEM directly for
additional info and I'm sure Perry has some details in that regard. They
will appreciate having some assistance with QA and testing especially if
it increases their market potential/share.

I have found the smaller Chinese manufacturers to be pretty accommodating
in that regard.

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 6:07 AM, psk <perry@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> My company is actively working on guitar effects technology based upon
>> this
>> family of SOCs. I would be very pleased to exchange information with
>> others
>> interested in Linux audio on the RK3066 or RK3188.
>>

>> --

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd