Re: [LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 17 2013 - 17:31:46 EEST

On 05/17/2013 05:08 AM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> I looked into these devices a bit more last night. It seems Picuntu (which
> is based upon Ubuntu 12.10 and still in beta) currently only supports the
> dual-core RK3066 devices and I failed to find any success stories of people
> having got Ubuntu (or any non-Android Linux) to install on the quad core
> RK3188s.

To be fair, the 3188-based devices only started shipping a few weeks ago.
There's always the question of "get better supported last-generation stuff,
or current-generation stuff that won't do what I want for a while, if
ever". The good news is, the generation bumps on these ARM devices happen
about every 6 to 8 months, and they're so cheap that you can probably take
a chance on the 3066 stuff and pick up a 3188-based one when they're better
supported, in a few months... by which time I suppose they'll have an
8-core one ready to go, dropping the price of the quads below $50.

Sounds like I need to try Picuntu on my RK3066 device so I can report
success or failure for my particular brand.

Rob