Re: [LAU] Scarllet 8i6 on Ubuntu Studio

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 21 2013 - 23:54:32 EEST

On Tue, May 21, 2013 11:31 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
> [message re-arrange to avoid top-posting]
> On 05/21/2013 04:52 PM, Axax wrote:
>> On 05/21/2013 09:30 AM, Abhayadev S wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anybody had tried using the Focusrite Scarllet 8i6 on Ubuntu Studio
13.04?

>>> So far it was not supported under ALSA but from 13.04 it seems it is
been detected and the JACK is able to list out couple of I/Os.

>>> Last day i just booted up a live version of the 13.04 and was bale to
do couple of i/o routing. Jack lists 8 inputs and 12 outputs. It seems
the Inputs 1 to 4 (analog mic/line-ins) are listed as Inpiuts 1 to 4
and 2 SPDIF are 5 and 6. But i am not sure about the 7 and 8. I am
getting the same SPDIF signal on these inputs too !
>>> The output 1 to 4 are Monitors output (1&2) and extra outputs (3&4) on
the backside of the box. And 5&6 seems to be SPDIF outputs. Still have
6 more outputs to be listed/clarified.

>>> Just going ahead with further analysis and if anybody out there has
any thing to add on please do so..

>>> Regards,
>>> Abhayadev S
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/abhayadevs
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/astudioindia
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've the same audio card. It's working as you described, but I can't
figure out hot to change the input mode for the channels 1-2 from MIC
to LINE/instr!
>> Anybody have a clue?

Just a quick addition. The below describes how to change the
line/instrument inputs back and forth. Mic to line is automatic. If you
plug into the XLR it is mic mode and into the 1/4inch TRS (or TS) it is
line/instrument mode.

>> A.
>>

> see
> https://focusritedevelopmentteam.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/linux-and-focusrite-novation-products/#comment-51
>
> https://github.com/x42/alsa-driver/tree/s18i6 adds full mixer support
for the 18i6. According to Focusrite the same will also work for the 8i6
-- but I lost interest in Focusrite devices for various reasons.

> Short of patching the alsa kernel driver or using another OS to change
device config, you can use https://github.com/x42/scarlettmixer to
change the config on GNU/Linux. It's not a ready-to-use app, however:

> 1) rmmod snd_usb_audio # so that python script can access the device 2)
change the python script line 31 to detect the 8i6
> 3) tweak the "example code" line 492..
> the "line/inst" switch is there as sw_impedance()
> 4) modprobe snd_usb_audio # ...
>
> best,
> robin

Len Ovens