Re: [LAU] realtime kernel on crunchbang

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu May 23 2013 - 11:29:11 EEST

I'm not an expert, but perhaps it does matter what version of gcc was
used to build the kernel and what version of gcc is installed? But IIUC
it's only important to use the correct version to build the kernel.

$ awk '{print $7}' /proc/version
$ gcc -v

I don't know if packages for proprietary graphics drivers include a
pre-build module or if they build the module that fits to a kernel, it
at least is common that for some distros pre-build modules for e.g. VBox
are a packaged and a module only will fit to one kernel version, IOW to
the distros default kernel.

When I build kernels myself, usually all kernel versions are working. I
guess there's an issue to use the Ubuntu package for Debian. For VBox I
e.g. build the modules using dkms.