Re: [LAU] Jack vs Jack2, PulseAudio, Speech, Commandline!

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 24 2013 - 03:45:21 EEST

Len Ovens writes:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 5:22 pm, Len Ovens wrote:

> >> On a per user basis?
> >> That won't quite work for me, because I also need to avoid the part
> >> where pulseaudio doesn't allow sound access for a root login.
> >>
> >> I really want to go at this on a system-wide level, but then it's
> >> possible I don't understand pa architecture, i.e. perhaps any pa is only
> >> invoked user by user.
>
> I thought about this for a bit and I am not sure if you mean that two
> users can be logged in at the same time and both listen to sound (PA would
> have to run system wide) or just that only one user would login at a time
> but you want the same setting for all in which case you only need to
> change the system settings.

Actually, at the same time. I tend to have 23 consoles open plus the one
dedicated to the graphical desktop. Sounds like overkill, but there's
method to my madness, i.e. gui on tty1, mail on tty10, my work with the W3C on tty7,
etc., etc.
> --
I typically have 1 or 2 ttys with root login for system level things.
Yes, I know sudo, but some commands actually won't work without a native
root login.

And, I have a user that builds rpms.

All of these need screen reader support, and that works just fine over
alsa, but no so well over pa--except that the Speech-Dispatcher, Espeak,
plus Orca combo actively supports pa.

So, my intent:

Card 0 for Speakup with TTSynth and whatever incidental sound
Card 1 is a digital out of 0, I don't use it.

Card 2 for Orca. This one gets pa

Card3 is my Sennheiser headset for SIP calls, preferably FreeSwitch, but
that's horribly latent at the moment.

Card4 is currently my HDSP Multiface. Needless to say, this one's for
jack--once I get it working!

Card5 is an old Chaintech PCI card that uses ICE1725 drivers, and has
pretty good quality. I use it with mplayer, routing its output to some
old JBL Ions. If I continue to have problems with the Multiface, this is
my fallback until I can get something better.

So, I'm OK to turn pa on/off for 2 and 5, but definitely not 0 or 4, and
probably not 3. This, plus the multi logins.

The UDEV rule does seem promissing. I just need to learn more about how
to identify devices to UDEV. And, since Cards 2 & 3 are USB, I should
arguably lock them in via UDEV, rather than counting on
/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf alsa assignments to stay the same.

Probably more than you needed to know about my setup!

Janina

--
Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@email-addr-hidden