Re: [LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 27 2013 - 18:00:05 EEST

2013/5/27 Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>:
> On 05/27/2013 03:08 PM, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
>>
>> As I'm also tweaking RPi for audio, I'd be interested in the good and
>> bad of these little devices also.
>>

> Hello Carlos,
>
> I'll open a new thread once I received it and it's running something other
> than Android.

I'll be waiting eagerly for it :).

>> One of the main disadvantage I see in comparision with my previous
>> portable FX project, which used an UMPC which had a touch screen
>> instead of a headless device, is that if you're constantly improving
>> the thing I miss a display in the thing, instead of having a TV or
>> similar around.
>

> Personally I don't consider this a disadvantage as I I don't see the need of
> an external display when you can do X forwarding. And when the RPi fails to
> boot I connect a serial USB dongle so I can check the boot process.

I mean, a disadvantage meanwhile you don't have some stable/final
version of your configuration or preferences. When you get to that
point then I concur with you, and in addition you're more focused on
the music This state is what I want, but I suppose I always have some
new idea to implement.

>> Another issue is that I have to connect an external audio card to have
>> a decent audio quality and RT capabilities. On the UMPC I managed to
>> use even the internal audio card and mic, so I only had to port this
>> device with me.
>

> In my experience you almost always have to connect an external audio card to
> have a decent audio quality. So this isn't really an issue for me either. I
> don't mind carrying an external audio card with me, especially when I know I
> can trust that card.

My UA is absolutely great, but a little heavy and big, I would love to
have something with IN-jack/a decent mic and a speaker to put in/stick
to my guitar and Jam along in the park with friends. I'm working on it
with RPi and some smartphone to "see" if it's all going well "inside"
the RPi; for this I'll have to but some portable power source for the
RPi. Maybe some solar stuff.

>> But that's what it is, at least for RPi.
>

> Yup, it's a $35 device, it would be a bit unreasonable to expect it to have
> a great sounding audio chip. There's sound coming out of it, but it's 11bit
> and it doesn't really like running at lower latencies. It does have mmap
> support now so it is possible to use it directly with JACK.

I didn't try that yet but, talking about some portable thing, I guess
the quality with 11bits is not bad for certain purposes. You won't
have a line in, but you have at least a stereo out to play synths and
drums, and with a small usb audio card even you're guitar can be the
controller with Guitar2MIDI.

> Regards,
>

> Jeremy

Regards,