Re: [LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

From: John Murphy <rosegardener@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 02 2013 - 01:24:07 EEST

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 22:52:18 +0200, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:

> Please forgive me if these questions is already answered:
>
> (Ubuntu Studio 12.10 32-bit on Toshiba Sattelite p850 laptop)
>
> It seems that after the last updates my machine is now running the
> generic kernel 3.5.0-33 by default. This seems to have broken JACK,
> which was running without problems for a long time. So I have the
> following questions:
>
> - How do I "downgrade" so that the 3.5.0-31-lowlatency kernel becomes my
> default setting?

I'm using Ubuntu Studio 13.04, so it may be different on yours, but
the old kernels are not deleted and you can choose an older one from
the list you see after pressing the Grub menu second entry 'Advanced
options for ubuntu'. If the one you want is there - you can make Grub
use it as the default by editing (as root/sudo) /etc/default/grub

Change the line which says GRUB_DEFAULT="0" to GRUB_DEFAULT="1>3"
but you'll need to change the "3" to reflect how far down the list
of bootable entries it appears in the list - and, bear in mind, 0
is the first.

In other words - to boot the entry on the 4th line it would be "1>3"

Then run 'update-grub' and you should get the kernel you want on the
next re-boot. Tap the Shift key during boot if you don't usually see
any Grub options.

Hoping it helps.

--
John.