Re: [LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 02 2013 - 15:06:25 EEST

On 02/06/13 17:40, david wrote:
> On 06/01/2013 03:28 PM, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:
>>

>> On 02. juni 2013 01:32, Len Ovens wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, June 1, 2013 1:52 pm, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:
>>> They don't. The upgrader is not a UbuntuStudio Project and seems to break
>>> some things in UbuntuStudio. A fresh install just has the low latency
>>> kernel... at least any of the UbuntuStudio versions I have tried ... all
>>> of them from 12.04 to 13.10alpha. I, personally, have had other issues
>>> with upgrades in Ubuntu Studio as well. Reinstall is best. (but then I
>>> have been doing fresh installs since SlackWare 0.9.* or so... maybe I
>>> should come out of the dark ages?)
>>>

>> Thank you! Makes me wonder how the generic kernel entered my system,
>> then, but not enough to investigate! I'll just remove the generics...
>>
>> As for upgrade vs fresh install I never managed one successful upgrade
>> (OK, maybe I tried just twice ;-) ) so I prefer the fresh install.
>> Though I've broken a bone or two by leaving all the config files on my
>> home partition and then installing on the root partition. WOW, can it
>> break things...
>
> I've tried upgrading Ubuntu from one version to the next, and pretty much had no
> success. So with Ubuntu, I prefer a fresh install.
>
> Debian's been no problem at all with upgrades. Even successfully changed from
> stable to sid once simply by changing my repositories.
>
> Upgraded Sid on my desktop machine today, 440+ upgraded packages, and it works
> flawlessly.

... with more than a little help from that team of a dozen or so guardian angels
behind the scenes in aptosid, managing that small repository of fixes and apt
hold-backs, and making sure their kernel is ready for use so your life is easier
... the way it should be. But your upgrade to sid wasn't with them I guess.

I certainly hope they continue this work, I have been using their system since
they did this work at kannotix 7 years ago, when etch was sid. I had naively
made some choices of hardware that I didn't realise were bold (to put it mildly)
for linux and theirs was the only installer that could boot it. A very big
learning curve on that project, but I got there. I can confirm they do a very
good job.

Simon