Re: [LAU] Jack, lowlatency, generic, update

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 03 2013 - 01:06:17 EEST

david wrote:

> Debian's been no problem at all with upgrades. Even successfully
> changed from stable to sid once simply by changing my repositories.
>
> Upgraded Sid on my desktop machine today, 440+ upgraded packages,
> and it works flawlessly.

Greetings from the Debian upgrade treadmill ;-)

I've learned it works most reliably if you upgrade in two
stages:

apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

I just verify that it won't removing major packages, and do
a backup first if I see that the C libraries are going to change,

Although I benefit from the developments in multimedia
software I'm not sure I like exposing my system to so many
opportunities for failure.

A strategy I've used in past is to *not* upgrade until I
need something. Maybe could call it it "choose your own
freeze".

I'm told this is sub-optimal because the package upgrade
scripts are not tested against all previous packages.

Regards,

--
Joel Roth