Re: [LAU] realtime midi from audio?

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 06 2013 - 22:30:34 EEST

On 06/06/2013 08:17 PM, Rusty Perez wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I have a vocal harmonizer pedal from TC electronics which takes input
> from my guitar, and my vocal microphone and determines what chord I'm
> playing, and creates vocal harmonies.
> I'm wondering if there might be a linux program to determine the
> chords I'm playing,, on my guitar, and turn these in to midi notes,
> and play a synth or sequencer along with my guitar.
> I'm not looking so much for a midi guitar because I don't want to
> modify my instruments, and I don't always play the same guitar. but
> this vocal pedal does a pretty good job of tracking chords on my
> guitar, so i was thinking maybe a program could do the same thing, and
> with that i could create midi accompaniment, maybe driving a sampler
> or something.
> this is just a dream fueled by a lack of steady bandmates, but a guy
> can dream right?
>
> thanks so much!.

Hello Rusty,

There are several options:
* Guitarix gxtuner LV2 plugin which does audio to MIDI
* Rakarrack can do audio to MIDI
* There are Puredata patches that can accomplish this too

These alternatives don't determine what chords you play though, at best
they can determine separate notes.

Regards,

Jeremy