Re: [LAU] greetings from a blind user

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 12 2013 - 23:20:53 EEST

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 18:12:38 +0200 (CEST)
Julien Claassen <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Hello Jürgen!
> I myself am blind and have made music with Linux since the early 2000s.
> Thera re several choices for you, depending on your commitment and workflow.
> There is the graphical user interface, mainly the GNOME environment with Orca.
> They are getting better and better all the time. You now have QT support in
> the more recent versions, meaning a wider range of usable applications. I'm
> not very familiar with the graphics, but I've heard of some, who had
> reasonable success with gx-head, jOrgan and others. I don't know, how usable
> ZynAddSubFX or Yoshimi are with current libraries, worth a try.
> On the commandline you will find a good deal of software. From my favourite
> piece of all time Nama, a DAW, to access to synthesizers of all kind.
> I have several MIDI keyboards hooked up to my system. I've never used them
> to control a DAW though. I'm pretty sure - not 100% -, that built-in DAW
> control features won't really work. and before you start getting hungry for
> Ardour: it's not for us. The basis widget is not accessible and it's designed
> around that.
> Your soundcard won't be an issue. I've seen the drivers for the audigy, when
> I investigated my E-MU card. I believe mycard even uses the whole or part of
> tat driver.
> Something not possible on the commandline is MIDI sequencing, as in
> step-sequencing and finely grained note/pattern editing. You might find, that
> some of the graphical sequencers work. That's for someone else to tell.
> If you have more specific questions for certain pieces of software, I'll be
> glad to help.
> Ki9nd regards
> Julien

Sighted person so forgive me if I'm talking nonsense!

Are you just wanting to use zyn (or yoshi) with the existing instrument banks,
or are you wanting to try to alter parameters?

If the latter, I don't think you'll have much success, but you *can* play
existing voice patches from the command line by using the -L option so:

/usr/local/yoshimi -L /usr/local//share/Music/Zyn/bank/Collection/0007-Ethereal.xiz

I don't know about zyn, but yoshi allows multiple instances so you could load up separate instances with just one voice on channel 1 of that instance (the instances are fairly obvious to jack.

Does this help at all?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk