Re: [LAU] Audio Streaming Server for Linux

From: Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 14 2013 - 09:29:21 EEST

2013/6/14 Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>

> On 14 June 2013 at 8:03, Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > If your net.admin doesn't worry about incoming connection from
> > your remote pc, try using a radio streaming app such icecast.
> > It's quite easy to setup and streams oggs
>
> Until recently even SSH was frowned upon, but now works outbound
> without taking special measures. Now I can ssh from my desk at work
> to my machine at home and display clients on my Linux machine at
> work, or via NoMachine on Windows.
>
> Inbound (from wild to work) requires VPN be running. I know
> HTTP[S] gets through either direction. But, many ports are shut
> at the company firewall. I do the same thing.
>
> Should I infer that icecast wants to set up the connection from
> the wild to the client machine? If so, then it would need to run
> over VPN, and that's a show-stopper.

You don't need ssh nor vpn for that, icecast server (your home pc) will be
accessed from the internet.
If you can browse the internet without restriction... there you go.
ssh is good in your case because you will be able to change playlists and
do other stuff which requires admin access.

icecast is simple enough to setup and run in few steps, from then on you
can use many clients to manage you streams, from cli or using a gui.
check icecast.org if it fits to your needs.

/r