Re: [LAU] Some ffmpeg/avconv questions

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 30 2013 - 21:37:58 EEST

On 29/06/13 19:22, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Ive been trying to capture some screencasts of talks mine with avconv.
>
> many sites seem to recommend using
> -vpre lossless_ultrafast
>
> From the pov of the machine does this consume more CPU or less?
>
> If I set sample-rate to 11000 will ordinary speech be spoilt? What about
> 5500?

I don't think the audio sample rate will have a great impact on CPU
consumption, actually using your sound card's 'native' sample rate might
save a bit of cpu (if it's a laptop I guess it might be 48k?)

I think what's going to impact most on the cpu is the video framerate...
Many tutorials suggest using 30 fps, but for a screencast 20 or even 15
might be enough.

My two cents.
Lorenzo.