[LAU] DRC and mics ..little idea of what i'm doing..

From: Bearcat Şándor <bearcat@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Tue Jul 02 2013 - 21:41:33 EEST

Folks,

I just moved into a new house and have my stereo setup. Granted some things
will be moved around the room and some quilts will be going onto the walls,
but it's sitting basically where it will sit.

Something i've always wanted to do is apply DRC to my audio system. I just
started looking into this and i know very little about mics etc. I think
i'm going to get something along these lines:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-801

I have an asus xonar essence ST soundcard found here:
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_ST/

First off, i assume that even though it's got an input that *looks* like a
TRS jack i can't just get an xlr-trs converter and plug it in and go?

If you want to point my nose at "understanding mics and phantom power and
why you're a doofus for thinking this will work" please do.

Thanks,

--
Bearcat M. Şándor
Feline Soul Systems LLC