Re: [LAU] Linux Audio podcast, episode001

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 03 2013 - 10:03:11 EEST

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Yes, he despises JACK and I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel all that kindly
> towards ALSA. So what ? Are these things sacred cows, never to be disturbed
> from their current positions ? And if he's offensive, maybe he takes it far
> more seriously than we think, and maybe just maybe he has thought through
> to a very different Tao of Linux audio. In another example, the OSS/Linux
> guys think differently about it, and they have a viable product.

far too busy to get involved in one of these threads, but i thought i
should repeat something i've said many times before, in various ways.

you will NOT find the developers of audio apps on OS X or Windows wasting
much time cursing out CoreAudio or WDM or WaveRT, certainly not in public.
These features of their landscape are fixed and not subject to change
through any efforts they can make (other than bug reports and so forth).
and yes, those systems are far from perfect, but they are THE systems you
get to use on their respective platforms, whether you like it or not.

linux has always had the problem that nobody really wields a big enough
stick - it is always possible to image and more importantly to actually
implement an entirely different approach to a particular aspect of the
kernel and userspace subsystems. as a result of this, we get benefits (some
really innovative stuff happens first on linux) and we get disadvantages
(because expertise and hours are spent "fixing" systems that you'd just
have to deal with on other platforms).

one final small note for louigi regarding things like "why ardour doesn't
support DSSI". logic on OS X doesn't support VST. the proprietary world is
not so diffferent :)

of course, there is one important difference: nobody but apple could ever
add VST support to logic. anyone could add DSSI support to ardour, if they
had the knowledge and desire. i'm just not that person.