Re: [LAU] eyes verses ears

From: Rusty Perez <rustys.lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 05 2013 - 10:44:03 EEST

Yes Ralf and J. your distinction between measuring and just
visualizing makes lots of sense to me. And Julien, I think you are
basically saying the same thing. A graphical tool may make it quicker
and easier to isolate problems and take measurements to improve audio
quality.

Monty, I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here.
I wouldn't say that anyone needs to throw away their measurement tools
when engineering equipment for best performance, but I have heard of
blind listening comparisons where audiofiles couldn't reliably tell
the difference between two given studio amplifiers, or between given
sets of speaker cables.
I recognize that "just listen" may be a trite way of dismissing valid
points, but isn't listening the primary goal here?
But I do agree with you that if using a visual representation helps
more quickly and accurately improve the auditory experience, then
that's a good thing.

Interesting stuff
Rusty