Re: [LAU] Off topic - Bluegrass for boys!

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 06 2013 - 00:32:09 EEST

On 07/05/2013 10:30 AM, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>> I don't think it's FF per se, it's the video driver being used by the
>> particular machine. Some support HTML5, some don't. Even true (I understand)
>> on Windows, but to a much lesser extent.
>
> Don't think it is the video driver. On my computer I'm running the
> nvidia binary. Logging in as Guest I can watch; using my account I
> can't. Same computer. Same video. Odd thing about this is that there
> is no directory for the Guest account ... not sure if that would make
> a difference. Oh, just created a new account on my computer. It has a
> small firefox directory, etc. And TED works. But, try as I might it
> will not work from my home directory.
>
> I do have a .adobe directory in my home. Just deleted that and
> restarted FF. Nope, no ted video. Mind you, just about any other video
> stuff I watch works fine.
>
> All very strange!
>
> So, it's not xfce. It's not the video driver. Not Firefox. And, not a
> profile issue (I created a new profile in my ff and got the same
> error).

Well, YouTube works here, but not TED. I have an .adobe folder, and it
contains subfolders for Acrobat and Flash. I suspect that if you had it
there with a Flash folder, your machine has Flash installed on it, and
maybe FF is using Flash instead of HTML5?

Strangely enough, audio is now working for me in Firefox, after years of
it not working. Possibly has something to do with the fact that the
system is currently refusing to load the Intel audio driver. So when the
USB sound card driver is loaded (manually), FF has no choice but to play
through the USB card. :-)

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden