Re: [LAU] Flash Player - Was: Non Mixer Spatializer Demo

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 08 2013 - 13:42:11 EEST

On 8/07/13 7:28 PM, Karl Hammar wrote:
> Ralf:
>> the reason that now relatively many people don't want Flash Player
>> anymore is that it's not maintained for Linux anymore and even on other
>> platforms it's not available. In the past I used Adobe Flash Player on
>> Linux myself and I still use proprietary software with Linux.
>
> Interesting, here in Sweden, the former state television company
> is "broadcasting" tv over Internet. They are using flash and their
> sister company (the one collectiong the tv-licence fees) wants every-
> body with a computer and an internet connection to pay.
>
> If one can show that flash is non-linux, perhaps linux users could
> go free.
>
> Do you have any proof that would hold at a court ?

Here's the official announcement from Adobe -- they haven't dropped
Linux support as such, but they've certainly cut back on it:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

In short, Adobe has stopped releasing new versions of Flash as a plugin
for Firefox, etc. -- it will receive security fixes for the next five
years, but no new features. Adobe will continue to make new versions of
Flash available within Google Chrome, though.

Thans
Leigh