Re: [LAU] maximum input level, or normalization and dc offset correction?

From: Ricardus Vincente <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 12 2013 - 23:20:40 EEST

On 07/12/2013 02:36 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden <mailto:wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>> Some people believe in this new gremlim called inter-sample distortion
> or some such thing.
>
> [Side note on gremlins]
> Inter sample peaks: neither peak represents the highest value of the
> wave: the peak exists between the samples. This is a mathematically
> proven phenomena. The distance to keep from 0dB FS depends on the signal
> (due to the inter-sample peaks depending on the signal).
>
> I tend to stay away 3dB from 0dBFS, I think that suffices... -Harry

 I understand that they can exist, but for the waveform to be rendered
by the D/A, 3dB over the sample values (in the peake between the
samples) seems like an unlikely transient. Further, if the D/A has
sufficient headroom (modern good D/A should) I would think it's not
really a problem.

 I still see plenty of mastering engineers normalizing their INCREDIBLY
LOUD mixes to 0, and to -.1

 So in short, I tend not worry about it. :-)