Re: [LAU] [a bit OT] Vocal microphone

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 13 2013 - 04:16:43 EEST

Last year one of our Pickathon (shameless plug, pickathon.com)
sound crew was asked to pick up an SM58 on the way to load-in for
the weekend. He did that, but he also picked up a Sennheiser
e840 ($130USD). There was no comparison. The Sennheiser was
much clearer and was less prone to feedback than the SM58. The
58 went back to the store, and the e840 stayed up, along with the
guy buying another e840. Next time I need a vocal mic I'll get
an e945 ($220USD), a step up from the e840.

I'm also familiar with Beyer Dymamics, which are fabulous, but
about $300USD. The e840s have a bit more presence in the vocal
sweet spot, and have a hotter signal by 6-10dB. The Beyer's are
also much nicer sounding than the SM58. We also use AKG 330s,
and the Sennheiser keeps up with them too.

The advantage, as far as I can tell, of an SM58, is that a drunk
singer can drop them from the stage onto concrete 2m below,
and they're likely to still sound the same. Also, they don't
sound all that bad to start with, and they're not too expensive
($100USD). For live sound there's a lot to be said for cheap and
indestructible. In a studio someone might want a bit more.

All the best....

On 12 July 2013 at 23:08, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hello!
> I need to get a vocal microphone. I've had this project several times
> before, but now I'm decided. There are a couple of alternatives. there is the
> Shure SM5x and there is the SE-220, if my memory doesn't betray me. Any more
> suggestions on the topic? I want to pay around 100-200 EUR maximum. This
> microphone will be meant solely for singing. No instruments to mic.
> Warm regards and sorry for the OT again
> Julien

Kevin