Re: [LAU] Gain and clipping wav -> lame

From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 27 2013 - 01:35:02 EEST

Thanks again. Things are looking much better now. I embraced the
concept of not being able to predict this. Turns out I have old
screwed up things that really benefitted from revisiting them and
cleaning them up.

Marc Lavall??e wrote on Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 04:45:48PM -0400:
> Martin Cracauer <cracauer@email-addr-hidden> a ??crit :
> > Is there a way to hook up ebumeter to just an audio file or a stream
> > not associated with real time? It seems to come in a jack package
> > only.
> >
> > Thanks again
> > Martin
>
> http://r128gain.sourceforge.net/

That works. Comes in the Debian ebumeter package, BTW.

But how do I translate the output to a required db or ratio
adjustment?

I have a file in front of me that was maxed out amplitude wise by
somebody else. According to lame I needed --scale 0.64 to get it not
to clip in lame (should be 3.9 db). Which, BTW was not the value it
first estimated that I would need.

ebur128 --lufs:
Integrated loudness: -4.9 LUFS
Loudness range: 5.5 LU
Integrated threshold: -13.0 LUFS
Range threshold: -25.0 LUFS
Range min: -8.6 LUFS
Range max: -3.1 LUFS
Momentary max: -1.2 LUFS
Short term max: -2.4 LUFS

I don't see that any of the value correspond with what lame needed to
not clip over a collection of different loudness clips. (means: some
clips that needed less --scale have higher numbers here and others
have lower)

I assume the ebumeter output is more for making things sound even
(between different pieces) and not directly a tool to max out
anything, is that right?

Martin

--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@email-addr-hidden>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/