Re: [LAU] Gain and clipping wav -> lame

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 29 2013 - 17:15:28 EEST

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 03:27:33PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> while the paper
> (http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/
> AES128-Loudness-Normalization-Portable-Media-Players.pdf)
> is interesting, it's not what I was looking for. What needs testing is
> whether the loudness adjustment of RG2 compared to RG1 is perceived as
> 'closer to equal loudness'. When some sort of actual listening test
> shows that RG2 performs significantly better, good, otherwise I don't
> see the point.

ITU-1770 on which both R-128 and RG2 are based has been tested extensively
over a long time and shown to work very well. AFAIK there was no comparable
amount of testing done on RG1.

> I do find their recommended conversion equation questionable, they came
> up with it based on their sample set plus thumb measure. There's no
> telling what the results will be, but I don't expect them to be any
> good.

Why not ? The tests on the sample set (which is not small) show quite
a good agreement between the two systems.

Ciao,

--
FA