Re: [LAU] Looking for advice on a field recording device

From: Barney Holmes <djbarney@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 29 2013 - 20:50:56 EEST

Hi,

The Sony Minidisc (remember those?) was considered a desirable item for
live recording in its time. I'm currently experimenting with a Sony
Walkman Minidisc Net MD (Walkman MZ-N707 Type-R) that I picked up in a
charity shop for ~6 pounds. Its probably a collectors item, it was first
introduced in 2002. But I'm curious if it lives up to all the
recommendations I heard at the time from live sound recordists.

Did some seaside and other recordings just using a basic mono microphone.
Sounds OK when I play back on headphones from the device. I'm currently
transferring to my PC. The problem with the Minidisc is that it has too
much DRM on it (which is one of the reasons it failed as a technology).
Fibre optic connection only works INTO the device. Recordings cannot be
transferred off the device in digital form and have to be re-recorded
through an analog output - but the quality loss is negligible I think.
Currently looking at "linux-minidisc" for some possible ways around the
DRM.

Who knows what other second had devices are out there ? It's amazing what
you can find in charity shops as well ;)

djbarney

On Fri, July 26, 2013 2:26 pm, Philipp Ãœberbacher wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I finally want to buy a small field recording device, a zoom H* or
> similar, and I hope that some of you have experience with some of those
> devices and can give me some advice.
>
> I want to use this device to record interesting sounds wherever I am,
> so it should be relatively small and and fast to start recording. I
> also intend to record lots of quiet or relatively far away sources, I
> want to record bird songs rather than guitars. As far as I've seen
> those devices use SSDs or similar storage media, so I assume they don't
> make any noise on their own, right? I guess the microphone should also
> have a low self-noise.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Regards,
> Philipp