Re: [LAU] Looking for advice on a field recording device

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 29 2013 - 22:28:38 EEST

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 02:31:04PM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:

> Those two things have kept me Sony-free ever since, except for a stereo
> mic that I got with the MD (an ECM-MS907) that consistently surprises me
> with excellent live recordings.

Sony is one of those outfits I have very mixed feelings about.

I still have their flagship short wave receiver ICF-2001D which
by now is 30 years old and still working perfectly. One of the
reasons for that is that I also got the service manual, from
the same main street HiFi shop at the equivalent of 2 Euro or
so. It has the complete circuit diagrams. Try to find that for
any piece of equipment today.

I also have a Minidisk, MZ-R70 which I've used as portable
music player for a long time. A few years ago it dropped from
the table, turning most of the display into a black blob, but
otherwise it still works. I certainly prefer the quality over
anything mp3. And yes, you could make digital copies of CDs
with it, but any attempt to copy the output digitally has
failed so far.

They also made some very good speakers and microphones. I've
had little experience with the mics, but I liked them every
time I've used them.

Sony became sort of evil when it turned from an (excellent)
equipment manufacturer into a media multinational, with
things like the CD rootkit and SACD as the result.

Ciao,

--
FA