Re: [LAU] Soviet Classical Radio Stream

From: <v_2e@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 12 2013 - 00:01:26 EEST

  Hello!

  That's an interesting idea -- to run the radio station devoted to
Soviet classic music. There are/were many great soviet composers whose
works definitely deserve a wide distribution and recognition, which,
unfortunately, is not the interest of the xUSSR republics governments.

  In this regard it is interesting to recall the fragment from the
annotation on the 1994 audio CD cover:

" I deeply enjoyed and admired the classical recordings of my youth
(from the late 1950's to early 1970's). As I pondered why I now find it
so hard to enjoy many contemporary releases, I realized that pure
economics have played perhaps too large a role in the art of recording
today.

    Think about how much one talented musician earns during one
recording session. Now multiply that by 100 or more talented musicians.
Now add in the cost of renting a huge, beautiful sounding concert hall
where each seat normally commands $40 or more for each concert. Is it
any wonder that the very idea of "experimenting" with one's recording
craft in a particular hall with a full orchestra (maybe a chorus too)
must be held to a bare minimum?

    During my recent visits to Moscow, Russia, I had many occasions to
attend concerts at the Great Conservatory Hall (admission price: around
40 cents). I was immediately struck by the acoustics. Here was a
treasure waiting to be shared. And the musicians! Russian musicians lay
with their soul. their salary is not why they play. They don't really
have a choice. They play for the passion of it all.

    After several inquiries, I met maestro Gorenstein. I was
enthralled. What a fierce presence, intelligence and dedication. We
quickly began a cooperative effort to bring a unique opportunity to
life. Here was the chance to work with one hall and with a consistent
group of very talented artists, until we got it right.

    This CD is not the first recording I've done at the Great Hall. But
it _is_ the first where I'm ready to share the results. It is my
pleasure to give you a true musical passion from the heart. It will not
be the last.

          Gene Pope III, President, PopeMusic "

(The CD is titled "Unlikely Silhouettes")

  Now turning back to your streaming server.
1. I've been listening to it for a couple of days with no problmes.
2. When I tried to open the streaming server's web-page, I got the
following:

    Could not parse XSLT file

  This reminds me a problem I had once after an upgrade of the
IceCast to a custom build. The problem was actually that the server was
looking for the files in the "/usr/share/icecast2/web/" catalog, while
the files were installed into the "/usr/share/icecast/web/" catalog. I
solved the problem temporarily by installing a symlink "icecast2 -->
icecast". Maybe, you have the similar problem?

3. Is your Soviet classic music collection going to grow in the near
future or not?

  Thanks!

    Vladimir

-----