Re: [LAU] Decompressor for linux?

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 12 2013 - 12:06:57 EEST

Am 12.08.2013 02:47, schrieb Diego Simak:
> 2013/8/11 Ralph Bluecoat <ralphbluecoat@email-addr-hidden>:
>> It's not possible to "undo" the mastering job once it has been bounced.
>> You'll sadly have to live with it.
>>
>> Sorry for your ears,
>>
>> -R
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's been a while since I did anything with linux audio, or even had much
>>> to do with music, but now I'm attempting to listen to music that has been
>>> recently released, and find it unlistenable.
>>>
>>> The mastering! The compression! It burns!! It burns!!! Auugh, my ears!!
>>>
>>> I mean, it's obviously distorted. I can hear the clipping. People are
>>> putting out released tracks that I can't listen to without getting a
>>> splitting headache.
>>>
>>> Is there any such thing that I might be able to pipe into an ALSA or JACK
>>> setup, which would repair these broken tracks?
>>>
>>> It's sad. It's like people are mastering for laptop speakers, cellphone
>>> speakers, or earbuds, and nothing else.
>>>
>>> FWIW, as an example, I've just stumbled across the music of Amanda Palmer,
>>> downloaded her latest album, I think the music is great, or could be, but I
>>> can't listen to it because of the mastering.
>>>
>>> -ken
>>

> see this post from Claude Young:
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/114569084697251798925/posts/czFWAWSvBXY

I think this smells a bit like snake-oil.

The EQ/Filtering/Compression/Anything in a rendered signal *is* the
signal now and there is no way telling, what aspect of the signal is
introduced by the filtering and what part is the pristine, "hifi
original". You can make estimations based on common "standards" and try
to reverse, what *you* dislike in the signal but you cannot effectively
restore the signal before mastering.