Re: [LAU] Decompressor for linux?

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 12 2013 - 15:56:25 EEST

Am 12.08.2013 14:18, schrieb Marc Lavallée:
> Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@linuxuse.de> a écrit :
>> I use to react to such policies by not buying/listening to music that
>> is made that way. It is the artists choice to sound that way and I
>> respect that and in respect for my own holy and immaculate personal
>> taste I do not buy it.
>
> It is not really an artistic choice. Popular cultural references are
> tailored by media industries, and artists are just conforming.

If they do they will not have a share of my music-buying budget. And if
it is not choice but compliance, it does not change much for me. Failing
to defend your own art against defacements on behest of the industry is
failure anyway.

> If you
> don't buy, others will to comfort artists in their "choices".

I am afraid, you are correct in this anyway, I do believe, that I am not
entirely alone when I spend my money on music, that suits me better...

> Music is a
> good indicator of things to come; the future sounds louder and even more
> over-compressed.

To avoid misunderstanding: I do not dislike loudness as such. If it is
done right and fits an artistic concept, I really like to hear
loudness-mastering too. The last Dead Can Dance LP is incredibly loud
and still has a lot of interesting texture and atmosphere. The
QOTSA-album with the descriptive name "Songs for the deaf" is infamously
toothpasted too but they manage it, to keep it sound organic and even
quite dynamic.

I remember recording Motörheads Ace of Space back in 1983 or so onto a
tapemachine with real VUs and how impressed I was, that the VU did not
move at all ;-)

> Kickstarter won't change that. Education might help.

I think, some more discordianism could help also. It should be
considered more swag to be different/individual. Many kids feel that
way, just have a look upon the fanbase of Anit-folk reactionaries like
Düne or the Two Gallants.

best regards

HZN