Re: [LAU] Decompressor for linux?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 12 2013 - 18:02:13 EEST

On 08/12/2013 04:28 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>> It is also not going to
>> eliminate the phase shifts introduced by the original EQs, but is simply
>> going to add more.
> Not totally true. A lot of research has been done on correcting for
> magnitude and phase response. For example these two papers:
>
> http://guillaume.perrin74.free.fr/ChalmersMT2012/Papers/JAES_52(10)_2004_IF_SubjectiveInvestigation.pdf
> http://web.uvic.ca/~hgiesbre/499/13763.pdf
>
> I haven't kept up with this are of research, but I would not be
> surprised if more progress has been made since 2006.

The problem is that if you know EXACTLY what curves were applied
originally, AND you know the specific EQ algorithms used, you MAY be
able to make some corrections. But, the chances of knowing EXACTLY what
curves (freq. center point, filter type, slope, and bandwidth), you
can't make those corrections, and are just adding still more processing
to the mix.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]